Saturday 25 February 2012

Wish List - Checks, Grunge and Rock & Roll

'I need to remember...sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.'
-American Beauty

It was Pancake Day this week, or Shrove Tuesday, and traditionally we give up something, be it food or drink, for the duration of Lent, until Easter.


This year, instead of giving up a certain food, I have decided to give up buying clothes.


Now, to anyone that knows me, they will understand that I buy a LOT of clothes, so this is going to be seriously difficult, but I wanted to do it for two reasons; mainly because I need to reduce my spending and start saving, but also because I want to cut down on buying fast fashion that is easily disposable and doesn't mean anything to me.


So, as a way of tackling my shopping withdrawal symptoms, I thought I would do a Wish List every week or so, with high street pieces I've found and love, whether I would wear them or not.


This week, it's an American theme, a style that never really goes out of fashion whether it be cowboys, denim, checks or varsity jackets. Topshop, my main place of worship, has a gorgeous collection centred around this (90's Grunge), but there are great pieces elsewhere on the high street too.

Moodboard Images (from www.favim.com, Vogue UK, Topshop):





Soundtrack:
The Civil Wars - 'Barton Hollow'
Nirvana - 'The Man Who Sold The World'
Avenged Sevenfold - 'Dear God'

Here are some of my ideas on this trend:




Glory Dress by Rebel Republic, £28,
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=4702654&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&searchTerm=glory%20dress&resultCount=1

I LOVE this dress. Its midi length, authentic logo and slubby jersey material scream Americana; I would team it with bare legs, black ankle boots and a vintage denim jacket.





MOTO Bleach Flag Print Hotpant, £34,  
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=4380094&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&searchTerm=flag%20print%20hotpants&resultCount=1

MOTO Acid Denim Hotpants, £32, http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=4668123&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208529&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=200

Okay, I know the Stars and Stripes shorts were a bit of an obvious choice, but you get the point. The worn-in look of both these pairs of shorts add to the weathered feel of this style, and the acid pink ones provide a pop of colour to avoid a denim overload.


Fleetwood Mac Vest By And Finally, £20, http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=4837933&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&searchTerm=rumours&resultCount=1


Sleeveless Grunge Check Shirt, £26, http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=4291925&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208524&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=200&refinements=category~[209729|208524]&noOfRefinements=1


Black Ruched Waist Maxi Skirt, £30, http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=2390358&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&searchTerm=ruched%20waist%20maxi&resultCount=1
PARAGON Zip Front High Sandals, £90, http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=4285976&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208544&parent_categoryId=208492&pageSize=200

I love these four as separates, but I also think they would look great as an outfit. The understated cool of the 'Rumours' vest (one of my all time favourite albums!) works well with the classic checked shirt, with the maxi skirt and edgy zip detail heels giving them an edge. You could even dress it down by replacing the heels with some quirky Converse hi tops or Dr. Martens, other signatures of American style.

I realise this post is very Topshop-centred, but that's just where I found some inspiration! I promise to show more of a variety in posts to come!

Enjoy,

Sophie.

No comments:

Post a Comment